Sail Away Adventures recommends that all travelers carry a valid, unexpired passport regardless of where your travels take you. Carrying a valid, unexpired passport may facilitate your return home should an emergency arise. 

Information provided on this page is taken from the U.S. Department of State website for the convenience of our clients. In addition, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Customs and Border Protection website has great information on how to facilitate clearing CBP ("customs") such as Mobile Passport, Trusted Traveler Programs.   


Crossing the border by air

If you are a United States citizen traveling out of or into the USA by air, an unexpired U.S. Passport Book is required for everyone, regardless of age. A U.S. Passport Card is not acceptable when traveling by air. 

Wondering about the difference between the U.S. Passport Cards and U.S. Passport Books? We love this chart on the U.S. Department of State website. 


Crossing the border by land or sea

All U.S. citizens who are 16 or older traveling between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda by land or sea (including ferries), are required to present a valid passport such as a U.S. Passport Book, U.S. Passport Card, or other alternative documents as determined by the Department of Homeland Security. 

See Traveling with Children on the Know Before You Go page of the  U.S. Customs and Border Protection website.